Friday, July 3, 2009

Announcement: 1989 Retrospective

Before I start this, I should go ahead and address something, because soon what few people visit this site long enough to read anything but not long enough to read it carefully enough to see how silly and shallow it is are going to accuse me of egoism. So, here goes: I don't give a damn about birthdays. I never have, and I imagine that I never will.

OK, that's settled. However, next Sunday I turn 20, and I might have had the closest thing to birthday excitement in my life. What better way to celebrate, I thought, than to take a look back at the films of the year, the ones I've watched since my childhood, and ones I've yet to see? Yes, this is my life.

So, at least once a week until the end of the year, I will visit and review a film from 1989, and I might even come up with a 'Best of' at the end of the year along with a list of this year's finest. Mostly, though, this is little more than a strange nostalgia trip, one that involves no films I actually saw at the time but a few (Back to the Future Part II, Ghostbusters II, The Little Mermaid) were significant films from my childhood, so there should be some wistfulness to the project.

To keep track of 1989 films profiled, you can click the '1989' tag at the bottom of this post or simply use the actual link: http://armchairc.blogspot.com/search/label/1989. As you can see, I've already got one film profiled from my normal reviewing (I'm surprised there aren't more), and I don't see the need of going back to it. So, if you're as introverted as I am, or you simply get a kick watching someone invent flimsy excuses to continue avoiding human interaction, join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment