Friday, March 11, 2011

Sweet Smell of Success: "Sidney, conjugate me a verb."

My review of Alexander Mackendrick's masterpiece Sweet Smell of Success is up now at Cinelogue. This was the biggest "newspaper movie" I'd yet to see, and it may well be my favorite. It's one of those films that might inspire the usual pooh-poohs of "People don't talk like that," but damn, don't you wish they did. Features career-highlight performances from both Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis, who each have enough fantastic performances to their names to make finding a best role futile. And again, THAT DIALOGUE. Ugh, it's so good I almost hate real people, myself included, for not living up to it.

Please check out my review.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it as a Cinelogue contributor, Jake. I'll keep an eye on the stuff you cross-publish over there.

    ReplyDelete