Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Blindspots 2013

It may be presumptuous of me to plan for another year's worth of Blindspots posts when I still have two more from 2012 to complete (expect one for The Long Day Closes within a week and Judex...well, later). Still, these are some films I've meant to watch for some time, so perhaps writing them down here will prompt me to get to them. As with last year, I'll cover one a month at random (save for the horror film meant for October). The films are as follows:

All That Jazz (Bob Fosse, 1979)
French Cancan (Jean Renoir, 1955)
Gertrud (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1964)
Too Early, Too Late (Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet, 1982)
Ugetsu (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)

5 comments:

  1. I love ALL THAT JAZZ and ELEPHANT. I actually haven't seen a lot of your picks though. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of the films in that list, I've seen All That Jazz and Elephant but I too haven't seen everything else in that list. I'm participating in the Blind Spots series as well as I went for a variety of films from different decades. I like what you're picking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen three of these (All That Jazz, Elephant, and The Long Goodbye), and all are great choices. The Long Goodbye in particular is such an interesting spin on the old-school detective story. Elliott Gould is so perfect for the laid-back lead role.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll love the Fosse and Demy - two of the greatest musicals of all time (along with the best Roy Scheider performance ever). The Long Goodbye is essential Altman, and, although I'm not a horror movie fan, I can see why Suspiria is considered a classic in that genre as well. Those are the ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all! Looking forward to these. Had some others I wanted but cut them out to try and get a bit of variety. Hope to get to them this year too.

    ReplyDelete