Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Blind Spots 2014

In writing terms, I had a great 2013. I added some cool new bylines to my resumé, and for the first time I even got paid for my work! As such, constantly looming deadlines made me shift focus away from this blog even to update it with links to my work, much less to actually write stuff here. I imagine that will continue in 2014 (at least I hope it does, as it means I'm still pulling down freelance work), but I am still going to try and write a few exclusives here, primarily with my entries in the cross-blog Blind Spots series. I failed to write about five of my chosen picks for 2013, even though I actually watched one of them, French Cancan (a masterpiece I will write about shortly, I hope). So, as to not forget them, I will list them here alongside this year's picks, and with any luck I will get to all of them before the year is done.

Outstanding picks:
French Cancan (Jean Renoir, 1954)
Gertrud (Carl Th. Dreyer, 1964)
Judex [a 2012(!) Blind Spot] (Louis Feuillade, 1916)
Too Early, Too Late (Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet, 1982)

2014's picks:
The Beyond (Lucio Fulci, 1981)
Bombay (Mani Ratnam, 1995)
Cockfighter (Monte Hellman, 1974)
The Flowers of Shanghai (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 1985)
Girlfriends (Claudia Weill, 1978)
Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1922)
The Outlaw and His Wife (Victor Sjöstrom, 1918)
Peking Opera Blues (Tsui Hark, 1986)
Pyaasa (Guru Dutt, 1957)
Regular Lovers (Philippe Garrel, 2005)
The Terrorizers (Edward Yang, 1986)

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing different people's Blind Spot picks. A lot of people choose classics that I grew up with. You, on the other hand, have chosen twelve films I haven't seen, ten of which I haven't even HEARD of, and three directors I haven't heard of. Meanwhile, my own Blind Spot list this year is full of stuff everyone else saw in the '80s and '90s and I missed because I was off watching Sunset Boulevard and Singin' in the Rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deontay Wilder has announced his rematch with Luiz Ortiz will take place in November this year as Bronze Bomber looks to finally squash the ...
    ortiz vs wilder live stream

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete